Thursday, September 17, 2009

1920

It's very strange. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Lillian Gish; I haven't even seen any of her silents yet. Somehow, though, I was drawn to write this, after seeing a picture of her on the ice floe.

walking against the wind
the ice a thousand daggers
harsh, unforgiving
and so very cold

"get that face!"
anything for you, Mr Griffith
my aching arm the only heat
my hair frozen

only the pictures mattered
we suffered it gladly
that snowy March so many years ago
way down east



Lillian Gish

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful! I love Lillian Gish movies - you should really look into watching some!

Anonymous said...

Way Down East is a hell of a good movie (from which the ice thing comes from). I believe its public domain so it should be easy/cheap to find.

PS: When are you puttin out a book? I want a copy!

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas said...

Hala: I'm workin' on it! =D